Monday, January 14, 2013

Technology and teaching and blogging, Oh my!

Having only taught a couple of times, and not within the past couple of years, I am feeling a little rusty.  I am hoping that this course will not only help me get back into the habit of thinking critically about my own teaching methods, but will also help me develop skills that I can use in the short term (ex. advising, guest lectures) long term (TA'ing or acting as instructor of record) teaching roles. 
I have always been a borderline technophobe while at the same time appreciating the potential that technology has for creating new "transmission"  (to borrow a term from the TPI) methods.  I view this class as a way to overcome my subtle techno-terror and to learn (with what is sure to be excellent guidance and support, judging by the first class!) how to use existing and emerging classroom technologies to my advantage.  One particular avenue I'd like to explore is how I can use technology to engage students in field labs (ex. new ways to observe ecology at work). 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carrie! I started a google doc for the Flipping the Classroom talk for us to share info and ideas. If you shoot me your email address, I can share the document and make you an editor. Thanks and talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little fear is a healthy thing! I am looking forward to helping you overcome the techno-terror (great term!), and with your classmates, I think we can find some great strategies for student engagement in the field. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete